Tuesday 24 May 2011

Watering Pond Plants!

Whether the ledges around the pond edge were too deep was my main concern as I didn’t want the plants to be submerged.  Little did I know that this Spring would be exceptionally warm (4C hotter than average) and dry, with no significant rain for what seems like months.

With all the water butts empty and the vegetables and small plants crying out for watering, the pond had to be called on to save the day.  Add us taking this water out to the natural evaporation and the pond level has dropped nearly 20cm (8”), taking the plants on the ledge out of the water.

What to do?  Strange as it may seem, they’ve now been added to my evening watering rota.  It must make a peculiar sight, seeing someone watering plants in their pond, but there really isn’t any choice.

To be honest, I never thought myself that I would see the day when I have to water the pond plants, especially as the intention was that they would be the lowest of low maintenance.
Watering pond plants!

No comments:

Post a Comment